We spent a wonderful day at the amazing Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia. We arranged a tuk tuk for the full day for $15 and paid for a 1 day park pass for $20 each. Not bad! We woke up early, like 4 am early, to watch the “must see” sunrise over Angkor Wat. Although we woke up early, there was no sun rise, just clouds! Nonetheless, it was truly remarkable.
Most people have told us to go early in the morning and leave the temples around 11 because it just gets so hot, but because it was quite cloudy, we were able to really milk our day and get some awesome Angkor Wat pictures! We were there from 5am to 1:30pm! A day well spent! Make sure you check out a map and plan your day.
– Angkor Wat is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most important temples in Southeast Asia.
– Angkor Wat is on the Cambodian Flag and on the Reil (their currency).
– Angkor Wat Temples are more than 50% of the reason people travel to Cambodia.
– Angkor Wat is also the largest religious monument in the world.
– Angkor Thom had a small role in Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie.
– The bricks used to build the temples were bound by a vegetable compound rather than mortar
TA PROHM/ ANGKOR THOM
ANGKOR WAT WALLS